Building for the Future
In Spokane, racial disparities exist in education, criminal justice, health, housing, employment, and in most determinants that exist. The African American community, in particular, has consistently been hit hard by these disparities.
Despite best efforts, both from within and outside the community, it is challenging for a community to create the infrastructure that is needed to uplift itself without a strong base- a place – to focus its attention and efforts.
Spokane is in need of such a place.
The vision of the Carl Maxey Center Board is to build an African American focused cultural center that will be a sustainable/green and technologically innovative hub in the East Central neighborhood focusing on Racial/Social Justice & Equity; Business & Workforce Development; Education & Advocacy; and Cultural Enrichment. The goal of the center is to uplift, empower and transform the African American community from the inside out.
The Maxey Center will be a resource for communities of color in Spokane, as well as for the greater Spokane community, creating an opportunity for Spokane residents to gather, interact, celebrate, network, share experiences, discover resources, receive services, gain support and make connections in an environment that is uniquely African American.
Step 1 (Completed): Purchase
Phase I is to acquire the building and the lot next door. We will be raising $375,000 by August 1, 2018
Step 2: Remodel
Phase II is to remodel the building. Elements of the remodel will include:
- Work Training Program – will use apprentices and trainees
- Green/Sustainable Building – incorporate green technology and building practices
- Technology – incorporate present and future technology
- African American History – incorporate elements of Spokane’s African American history into the building’s design
Step 3: Manage
Phase III will be to develop and manage the programs and activities that will occur in the center:
- African American focused programming
- Community events/classes
- Gathering place
- Rental spaces
- Social enterprise (ie. bookstore/arts and crafts, etc.)
Step 4: Expand
Phase IV will be the expansion of the center up and out:
- Affordable housing
- Mixed-use – offices/retail
- Business incubator/co-working spaces